Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Rescue Sheltie-Mix Commission

Meet Frankie, a rescue Sheltie-mix commission.  He's to be a surprise gift for my client's friend, who lives out in Colorado.  Needless to say, I've never met Frankie, so had to work from a photo send to me by e-mail.

"Frankie", pastel, 13x18"©Kim Werfel


 
It's always better when I can meet the animal and take lots of reference photos, but I did my best with what I had.



Here's the original photo.  I eliminated the leaves and bricks as they were distracting and busy.  The bricks added too much warm oranges, and the patterns of both of them became as important as the dog....not what you want in a portrait.

I did keep his green leash, as I thought the owner would recognize it and it makes it more personalized. The dark blue helped balance the warms and brought him forward.

For some reason, the purples are jumping out at me on the computer screen, but are much more subtle and blended in the original art.  I've re-worked this several times, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Sometimes work just doesn't translate to the computer screen!

Hope you enjoyed viewing my art!

Check out my website for more www.kimwerfel.com



 




No comments:

Post a Comment