Pages

Monday, June 8, 2015

When Women Waken - Deer Spirit

I am thrilled that three of my paintings are in When Women Waken, a journal of poetry, prose and art by women. The June issue is about wildlife. 

Thank you to Anora McGaha for including my work in this beautiful on-line magazine. 

Click here to see the issue and my submissions:  http://www.whenwomenwaken.org/deer-spirit-by-kim-werfel

My first submission is "Deer Spirit", my very first pastel deer portrait.





I had just moved into my new home in Chatham County, and was amazed and totally captivated by these astoundingly beautiful and graceful wild beings that appeared outside my windows.  
This "teenaged" fawn was outside my office when I took her photo.  The blue asphalt of the street behind her was changed into water and I found myself softening the edges around her unconsciously creating a halo effect.
This was different from anything I had painted before, as I usually paint quite realistically.  I decided to leave it looking a bit ethereal, I liked the effect.
The first person to see her during the Chatham Studio Tour that year bought her.  I was actually kinda sad to see her go.  This, of course, lead to more deer paintings.
So exciting to be included in this on-line magazine!
Kim



No comments:

Post a Comment