Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Harpist

I love Renaissance Fairs.  The pageantry, the actors, the performances, the crafts, the Old English accents, the jousting....all of it.

Discovering North Carolina's Renaissance Fair in Huntersville last October, I took photos of very obliging actors.  Sarah Marie Mullen was by herself outside under some trees playing lovely, uplifting Celtic harp music.  I was mesmerized and bought one of her music CD's and she politely tolerated me trying to take her picture, unknowing that I was thinking of painting her portrait.


"The Harpist", pastel, 18 x 16" ©Kim Werfel


I loved all the different textures here....the strings, the soft landscape behind her, her skin and hair.  Her expression was challenging, but I think I caught it and the lovely mood she created with her music.
The harp and trees create a strong composition leading up to her face.

Pastel is so versatile, it lets you create such a variety of moods....just love it!

Do you think I should let her know I painted her?  Let me know your thoughts....

Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment